CDA is currently hiring for one position, listed below:
The Center for Democracy in the Americas (CDA) seeks a part-time Development Manager for a 12-month period to help create and implement a comprehensive fundraising program that will allow the CDA to expand its modest budget by 25% over a two-year period.
Working closely with the Director, the Development Manager will design and implement a development strategy that will generate new revenue streams for all program areas including Cuba, Venezuela, Around the Region, and other programs as they are developed.
The successful candidate should be drawn to the Center’s mission and have a proven track record in fundraising and development. Special consideration will be given to those with a knowledge of Latin America policy.
Job description: The Development Manager’s responsibilities include:
- Work closely with the Director, communications consultant, and program staff to create and execute CDA’s annual fundraising plan.
- Coordinate the writing and preparation of grant proposals and reports for new foundations or for expanded support from current foundations.
- Help identify prospects and coordinate strategies to solicit donations from them.
- Coordinate outreach to major donors for CDA’s annual event, expanding the event host committee and other fundraising strategies associated with the event. Provide fundraising support to CDA staff, board, donors and friends who solicit donors as part of the comprehensive fundraising strategy.
- Help create new fundraising vehicles (examples may be an internship fund and on-line outreach/promotion).
- Manage relationships with the donor database in Salesforce, Constant Contact, and Microsoft Outlook.
- Ensure CDA’s website and other outreach tools provide up to date information and photographs to appeal to donors to support CDA’s mission.
Workload: This is a half-time position based in Washington, DC. It may require domestic and international travel and attendance at events outside of regular work hours.
Experience: A minimum of five years’ experience working as a development officer. Candidates should have a record of implementing a fundraising strategy of a similar-sized organization that includes individual donors and foundations, as well as having worked effectively with staff and board members. Knowledge of and experience in the foreign policy community a plus.
- Interest in and commitment to the work of CDA
- A self-starter who enjoys a fast-paced environment
- Attentive to detail, prompt, and persistent
- An ability to represent CDA professionally in both speech and writing
- Works well independently, yet comfortable taking direction from various colleagues simultaneously
- Familiarity with computers and databases, Salesforce, Constant Contact a plus
- Familiarity with preparing budgets
Compensation: This is a consultant position, $50,000/year.
Please send resume, two references and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CDA Interns: In the last few years, we have had a number of young people come through our doors – bilingual, interested in the region, eager to learn more about Washington and Capitol Hill – who have done great things for us. We want more.
But you don’t have to be young or bilingual. If you have a commitment to our cause and a desire to share your time working on issues and ideas of importance to the Americas, please let us know.
Interested candidates should send a resume and a cover letter outlining interests, qualifications and availability to Lela Singh. We provide a small transportation stipend. For more information, including a description of the internships offered at CDA, click here.
The Stephen M. Rivers Memorial Internship
The Center for Democracy in the Americas created a paid internship for each academic year to honor the memory of Stephen Rivers, a remarkable friend, a renowned publicist for Hollywood celebrities, a political activist, and someone who devoted much of his professional life to building cultural bridges between the U.S. and Cuba.
Our organization is now seeking applications from qualified undergraduates for this paid internship that starts September 2013. For more information, click here.
Become a volunteer
The Center for Democracy in the Americas is a small organization with a big place in its heart for volunteers.
We welcome your ideas.
If you can’t spend your time, share your ideas. Here at CDA, we’re trying to reform U.S. policy toward the nations of the Americas. We welcome the opportunity to learn more about the region from the people who are doing the work, doing the research, and doing the thinking that can help modernize our country’s approach to the people, the nations, and the movements of the region.
To the thinkers and the doers, we welcome volunteers at the CDA.
To e-mail CDA, click here.